Lordswood Bernstein SL
16.2 1/2h | 2018 | Oldenburg Stallion
Bernstein instantly captures your attention with his three high-quality basic paces, excellent type, and outstanding temperament. He is a model athlete with an excellent neck conformation, great shoulder freedom, a strong back and a lot of power. The outstanding trot and canter work is always uphill and his clear four-beat walk offers excellent ground cover. Combined with his exciting pedigree that is rooted in an exceptional damline, we believe Bernstein is a fantastic addition for both breeding and sport in North America. Bernstein completed the Danish Warmblood 35-Day Stallion Performance Test, earning multiple scores of 8.0 and a score of 8.5 for capacity from his guest rider. In 2022, he added Hanoverian and Rhineland to his list of approvals as well.
Bernstein’s sire Bonds was named Oldenburg Champion Stallion in 2015 and earned impressive scores of 9.12 and 9.28 at his sport tests in 2017 and 2018. Bonds currently competes at advanced level and has five licensed sons to his credit. Grandsire Benicio, was winner of the Bundeschampionat, earned an unprecented 9.88 in dressage at this stallion test, and developed into an accomplished FEI horse. He is highly regarded as a sire with 25 licensed stallions and is highly ranked on both the German FN and Hanoverian Verband Dressage Sire Ranking lists.
Bernstein’s dam Sunshine M is by the influential stallion Quaterback. Quaterback has numerous offspring competing internationally at Grand Prix, including Hilltop Farm’s Qredit, and he is currently ranked #5 in the world on the WBFSH Dressage Sire Rankings. Sunshine M’s damline is the exceptional Elfenblume line from Germany. We know this family well as the special mares Elfenfeuer and Raureif also stem from this line.
The first Bernstein foals arrived in Europe in 2022 and were well received by breeders. As anticipated, they consistently show his beautiful type and expression. Bernstein’s first breeding season in North America has been very successful, with numerous breeders across the country expecting Bernstein foals out of a wide variety of mares.
2021: Completed 35-Day Stallion Test in Denmark ~ overall score of 802.0
Breeding Fees & Contracts
At Hilltop Farm we want to work closely with you and your veterinarian to ensure a successful breeding season and are available for questions at any time. The following information includes some basic suggestions as well as reminders on a few requirements for your breeding contract.
A Breeding Soundness Exam including a uterine culture is recommended, but not required, for all mares prior to breeding. If a mare fails to settle after two breeding cycles, Hilltop Farm will require a culture and cytology to be done at that time prior to any additional shipments of semen. We always recommend your vet checking your mare post-breeding to confirm ovulation. If a mare hangs on to a follicle longer than expected, it can be less expensive to ship additional semen than it would be to breed a second complete cycle. Getting your mare settled in foal is just the beginning. We recommend multiple pregnancy checks to help prevent cases of twins, misdiagnosed pregnancies, or lost time in the breeding season. The following schedule is what we recommend; only the first and fourth checks however are required by your breeding contract.
- 1st check (Required): 14-16 days post ovulation – optimum time for vet to pinch off a twin if more than a single ovulation is noted.
- 2nd check (Recommended): 28 days post ovulation – to confirm a viable pregnancy as the heartbeat normally appears by day 25.
- 3rd check (Recommended): 35-40 days post ovulation – to confirm maintained pregnancy prior to endometrial cup formation. Mares that slip foals early may not come back into heat.
- 4th check (Required): 55-60 days post ovulation – final confirmation of pregnancy in its critical first trimester.
Following your mare’s 14-16 day pregnancy check, please have your vet complete the Mare Breeding Passport received with your semen shipment and return it to Hilltop Farm. Any changes in pregnancy status after the 14-16 day check must be communicated to Hilltop Farm immediately. This Passport is used in all stallion reports to various breed registries and is used to generate a Breeding Certificate so that you can register your foal.
Bernstein is not available via cooled semen. Please see Frozen Semen for shipping costs and details on Bernstein’s frozen semen.
Registration & Futurity Information
Your mare’s registration and approval play just as important of a role as the stallion’s approvals when determining registration options for your foal. Please keep in mind that in order to register your foal with a specific association, your mare may first need to be presented to that registry for approval. In addition to the registries a stallion is approved with, there may be additional registration options based on your mare’s eligibility and the stallion’s credentials. If you are confused at all on registration options for a potential foal, please speak with Hilltop Farm and your breed registry PRIOR to booking your breeding.
- Danish Warmblood
- AHS & ARS
- KWPN-NA: Offspring out of KWPN-NA mares and by stallions approved with an Erkend Studbook (such as Bernstein) are eligible for Register A papers.
- American Hanoverian Society (AHS) Yearling & 2-Year Old Futurity: Yearling and 2-Year Old Bernstein offspring that are AHS Registered, AHS Certificate of Pedigree, or American Rhineland registered are eligible for participation. For additional information and futurity guidelines click HERE.
Frozen semen may be shipped year-round. Frozen semen is only shipped at the request of the breeder or their veterinarian, click here for instructions to Request A Semen Shipment.
Frozen Semen distribution is handled by Select Breeders Service, Inc. The Distribution Fee must be paid in advance of each shipment by check or credit card.
- $410 for FedEx Overnight or $380 for FedEx 2-Day US shipments; $680 for Canadian shipments + duties/customs charges. These include round-trip FedEx shipping. $15 additional for Saturday delivery.
- $155 for pick-up/return at Hilltop Farm or SBS with our container (does not include return by FedEx)
- $55 for pick-up or shipment from SBS with own container (does not include return by FedEx); $55 additional client owned tank recharge fee for tanks that arrive warm.
- $46 for each additional stallion if multiple stallions are being shipped together; $46 per each additional Mare Owner per shipment
- Late Fee for requests received after the published notification time: $88
- Container Deposit – $1350 (Secured by credit card – not charged unless container is not returned or is damaged)