16.2h | 2003 | Hanoverian Stallion
Pik L – Rohdiamant – Grundstein II
Pikko del Cerro’s career began with a record setting score of 90% at the prestigious Dressage at Devon Breed Show and was named Champion Stallion in 2009. That same year, Cerro won his first National Championship at the USEF Six-Year Old National Championships. He had subsequent wins in the USEF Developing Prix St. Georges & Developing Grand Prix Championships as well. Under Lisa Wilcox, Pikko del Cerro HU graduated to the International Grand Prix ring and had multiple CDI wins.
Pikko del Cerro descends from a family full of FEI horses. His sire, Pik L, had an extensive show career that included two Pan-American Games, USDF Horse of the Year titles, and three USEF Junior National Championships. Cerro’s damsire, Rohdiamant, was long-listed for the US Olympic Team with rider Lisa Wilcox and had a significant impact as a breeding stallion. Great-grandsire Grundstein II was a versatile sire of both dressage and show jumping horses that have competed at the WEG and Olympic Games.
The Pikko del Cerro foals clearly show his expression and athletic movement. They’re compact, uphill, and with a good amount of bone they stand out as real athletes. His oldest foals have been smart and willing to start undersaddle and his youngest are garnering fantastic comments from breed registry officials. The Pikko del Cerro offspring earned him top honors as the USEF Dressage Breeding Sire of the Year in 2019 and Reserve Champion in 2020. The Pikko del Cerro offspring have finished in the top placings of the USDF Breeders Championships each year. Pikko del Cerro is clearly showing us the positive impact he can have in the coming years.
Video & Pedigree
Performance Test: Lifetime Approval based on Sport Record
2020: USEF Dressage Breeding Sire of the Year ~ Reserve Champion
2019: USEF Dressage Breeding Sire of the Year
2015: Ranked 67th on the WBFSH Dressage Horse Rankings
2015: USDF All-Breeds Awards ~ AHS 1st Grand Prix & GP Freestyle
2015: NEDA Fall Festival CDI ~ 3rd in the Grand Prix & 1st in the GP Special
2015: Palm Beach Dressage Derby CDI ~ 6th in Grand Prix & 2nd in GP Freestyle
2015: Global Dressage Festival CDI ~ 5th in the Grand Prix & 3rd in the GP Freestyle
2013: CDN Ankum, Germany ~ winner of the Grand Prix & Grand Prix Special
2013: Wellington Classic Sunshine Challenge CDI 3* ~ winner of the GP & GP Special
2012: USEF Developing Grand Prix Horse National Champion
2011: USEF Developing Horse National Champion
2011: Kentucky Dressage Association CDI ~ winner of Prix St. Georges & Intermediaire I
2009: USEF 6-Year Old Young Horse National Champion
2009: Dressage at Devon ~ Stallion Champion & winner of FEI Six-Year Olds
2008: Dressage at Devon ~ winner of FEI Five-Year Olds
2008: USEF FEI 5-Year Old Young Horse National Championship ~ 4th Place, Top US-bred
2007: USDF AHS All-Breeds Awards 4-Year Old Stallion Materiale Champion
2007: Dressage at Devon ~ winner of USEF Four-Year Olds
2007: USEF 4-Year Old Young Horse National Championships ~ 10th Place
2005: Dressage at Devon Born in the USA Champion with a score of 90%
Breeding Fees & Contracts
Stallion Health Information
Pikko del Cerro is not available via cooled semen. Please see Frozen Semen for shipping costs and details on Pikko del Cerro’s frozen semen.
Frozen semen may be shipped year-round. Frozen semen is only shipped at the request of the breeder or their veterinarian, click here for instructions to Request A Semen Shipment.
Frozen Semen distribution is handled by Select Breeders Service, Inc. The Distribution Fee must be paid in advance of each shipment by check or credit card.
- $395.00 for FedEx Overnight or $365.00 for FedEx 2-Day US shipments; $660.00 for Canadian shipments + duties/customs charges. These include round-trip FedEx shipping. $15.00 additional for Saturday delivery.
- $150.00 for pick-up/return at Hilltop Farm or SBS with our container (does not include return by FedEx)
- $50.00 for pick-up or shipment from SBS with own container (does not include return by FedEx); $55.00 additional client owned tank recharge fee for tanks that arrive warm.
- $45.00 for each additional stallion if multiple stallions are being shipped together
- Late Fee for requests received after the published notification time: $85.00
- Container Deposit – $1000.00 (Secured by credit card – not charged unless container is not returned or is damaged)
At Hilltop Farm we want to work closely with you and your veterinarian to ensure a successful breeding season and are available for questions at any time. The following information includes some basic suggestions as well as reminders on a few requirements for your breeding contract.
A Breeding Soundness Exam including a uterine culture is recommended, but not required, for all mares prior to breeding. If a mare fails to settle after two breeding cycles, Hilltop Farm will require a culture and cytology to be done at that time prior to any additional shipments of semen. We always recommend your vet checking your mare post-breeding to confirm ovulation. If a mare hangs on to a follicle longer than expected, it can be less expensive to ship additional semen than it would be to breed a second complete cycle. Getting your mare settled in foal is just the beginning. We recommend multiple pregnancy checks to help prevent cases of twins, misdiagnosed pregnancies, or lost time in the breeding season. The following schedule is what we recommend; only the first and fourth checks however are required by your breeding contract.
- 1st check (Required): 14-16 days post ovulation – optimum time for vet to pinch off a twin if more than a single ovulation is noted.
- 2nd check (Recommended): 28 days post ovulation – to confirm a viable pregnancy as the heartbeat normally appears by day 25.
- 3rd check (Recommended): 35-40 days post ovulation – to confirm maintained pregnancy prior to endometrial cup formation. Mares that slip foals early may not come back into heat.
- 4th check (Required): 55-60 days post ovulation – final confirmation of pregnancy in its critical first trimester.
Following your mare’s 14-16 day pregnancy check, please have your vet complete the Mare Breeding Passport received with your semen shipment and return it to Hilltop Farm. Any changes in pregnancy status after the 14-16 day check must be communicated to Hilltop Farm immediately. This Passport is used in all stallion reports to various breed registries and is used to generate a Breeding Certificate so that you can register your foal.
REGISTRATION & FUTURITY INFORMATION
Your mare’s registration and approval play just as important of a role as the stallion’s approvals when determining registration options for your foal. Please keep in mind that in order to register your foal with a specific association, your mare may first need to be presented to that registry for approval. In addition to the registries a stallion is approved with, there may be additional registration options based on your mare’s eligibility and the stallion’s credentials. If you are confused at all on registration options for a potential foal, please speak with Hilltop Farm and your breed registry PRIOR to booking your breeding.
- KWPN-NA: Offspring out of KWPN-NA mares and by stallions approved with an Erkend Studbook (such as Pikko del Cerro) are eligible for Register A papers.
- American Hanoverian Society (AHS) Yearling & 2-Year Old Futurity: Yearling and 2-Year Old Pikko del Cerro offspring that are AHS registered, AHS Certificate of Pedigree, or American Rhineland registered are eligible for participation. For additional information and futurity guidelines click HERE.