16.3h | 1995 | Dutch Warmblood Stallion
Ferro – Variant – Gondelier
Sire of Olympic, World Equestrian Games, and World Cup winner Valego, Negro has certainly confirmed his value as a sire of top dressage talent. Negro offspring have proven time and again that they have the talent for the FEI work and he is currently ranked 8th on the WBFSH Dressage Sire Rankings. An exceptional canter, active hindleg, and talent for collection are consistent across his offspring. Due to the exceptional quality of his offspring, Negro has been awarded the coveted Preferant status by the KWPN and was the 2017 KWPN Stallion of the Year.
Negro’s sire Ferro has been one of the most successful international dressage stallions in history, capturing the Team Silver at the World Equestrian Games, European Championships, and Olympics. Negro’s dam, the Keur mare Fewrie, is by the successful international dressage stallion Variant.
At his Stallion Performance Test Negro was Reserve Champion overall, earning exceptional praise for his canter which scored an 8.5. Negro won his KWPN Stallion Show competitions and was the highest placed Dutch horse at the 2001 FEI Young Horse Championships. By age 7 he was winning at Prix St. Georges and had a remarkable talent for all the Grand Prix work. Olympic rider Anne Van Olst calls him ‘the best horse I ever rode.’
Video & Pedigree
Performance Test: Reserve Champion of Stallion Performance Test
2020: USEF Dressage Sire of the Year – Reserve Champion
2019: USEF Dressage Breeding Sire of the Year ~ Reserve Champion
2017: KWPN Stallion of the Year
2014: Ranked 18th on WBFSH Dressage Sire Rankings
2012: Awarded Preferent status by the KWPN
2010: KWPN Dressage Index: 143
2002: Prix St. Georges debut
2001: Zwolle Stallion Show Champion 6 Year Old
2000: Zwolle Stallion Show Champion 5 Year Old
1998: Reserve Champion of Performance Test
Breeding Fees & Contracts
Stallion Health Information
Negro is not available via cooled semen. Please see Frozen Semen for shipping costs and details on Negro’s frozen semen.
Frozen semen may be shipped year-round. Frozen semen is only shipped at the request of the breeder or their veterinarian, click here for instructions to Request A Semen Shipment.
Frozen Semen distribution is handled by Select Breeders Service, Inc. The Distribution Fee must be paid in advance of each shipment by check or credit card.
- $360.00 for FedEx Overnight or $330.00 for FedEx 2-Day US shipments; $600.00 for Canadian shipments + duties/customs charges. These include round-trip FedEx shipping. $20.00 additional for Saturday delivery.
- $125.00 for pick-up/return at Hilltop Farm or SBS with our container (does not include return by FedEx)
- $45.00 for pick-up or shipment from SBS with own container (does not include return by FedEx); $45.00 additional client owned tank recharge fee for tanks that arrive warm.
- $45.00 for each additional stallion if multiple stallions are being shipped together
- Late Fee for requests received after the published notification time: $75.00
- Container Deposit – $1000.00 (Secured by credit card – not charged unless container is not returned or is damaged)
At Hilltop Farm we want to work closely with you and your veterinarian to ensure a successful breeding season and are available for questions at any time. The following information includes some basic suggestions as well as reminders on a few requirements for your breeding contract.
A Breeding Soundness Exam including a uterine culture is recommended, but not required, for all mares prior to breeding. If a mare fails to settle after two breeding cycles, Hilltop Farm will require a culture and cytology to be done at that time prior to any additional shipments of semen. We always recommend your vet checking your mare post-breeding to confirm ovulation. If a mare hangs on to a follicle longer than expected, it can be less expensive to ship additional semen than it would be to breed a second complete cycle. Getting your mare settled in foal is just the beginning. We recommend multiple pregnancy checks to help prevent cases of twins, misdiagnosed pregnancies, or lost time in the breeding season. The following schedule is what we recommend; only the first and fourth checks however are required by your breeding contract.
- 1st check (Required): 14-16 days post ovulation – optimum time for vet to pinch off a twin if more than a single ovulation is noted.
- 2nd check (Recommended): 28 days post ovulation – to confirm a viable pregnancy as the heartbeat normally appears by day 25.
- 3rd check (Recommended): 35-40 days post ovulation – to confirm maintained pregnancy prior to endometrial cup formation. Mares that slip foals early may not come back into heat.
- 4th check (Required): 55-60 days post ovulation – final confirmation of pregnancy in its critical first trimester.
Following your mare’s 14-16 day pregnancy check, please have your vet complete the Mare Breeding Passport received with your semen shipment and return it to Hilltop Farm. Any changes in pregnancy status after the 14-16 day check must be communicated to Hilltop Farm immediately. This Passport is used in all stallion reports to various breed registries and is used to generate a Breeding Certificate so that you can register your foal.
REGISTRATION & FUTURITY INFORMATION
Your mare’s registration and approval play just as important of a role as the stallion’s approvals when determining registration options for your foal. Please keep in mind that in order to register your foal with a specific association, your mare may first need to be presented to that registry for approval. In addition to the registries a stallion is approved with, there may be additional registration options based on your mare’s eligibility and the stallion’s credentials. If you are confused at all on registration options for a potential foal, please speak with Hilltop Farm and your breed registry PRIOR to booking your breeding.
- Selle Francais
- AHS: Negro offspring out of Hanoverian approved mares are eligible for registration with the AHS with payment of a Foreign Sire Fee.
- GOV: Negro offspring out of Oldenburg approved mares are eligible for registration with the GOV with payment of a Foreign Sire Fee.
- ISR/OldenburgNA: Offspring of many of the European stallions may be eligible for registration upon the mare owner’s completion of a Foreign Stallion Permit.
- Westfalen: Any Westfalen papered and branded mare bred to a Lifetime Licensed and Approved German warmblood stallion (including Negro) may register her foal Westfalen.
- American Hanoverian Society (AHS) Yearling & 2-Year Old Futurity: Yearling and 2-Year Old Negro offspring that are AHS registered, Hanoverian Verband registered, AHS Certificate of Pedigree, or American Rhineland registered are eligible for participation. For additional information and futurity guidelines click HERE.